- No longer is the classic '99' the sweet treat of choice to be enjoyed on a summer's day while meandering along the various promenades and lake shores
of the UK. Now considered a dated symbol of summers past (or a 'classic' for those of a more sentimental nature), times have moved on, and now
the market is home to various delicious alternatives...
- Ice Cream vs. Gelato
- Sales for Gelato have skyrocketed, and the public are no longer screaming for ice cream. Although I hate to question two such wonderful creations,
it's time for answers. What IS the difference between ice cream and gelato? Well let me tell you...
- Both products have a similar custard base, but gelato has a higher proportion of milk and a lower proportion of cream and eggs (or no eggs at all).
Churned at a much slower rate, and thus incorporating less air, gelato is much denser than ice cream. Gelato is also served at a slightly warmer
temperature than ice cream, allowing for a smoother texture. Plus, due to its lower percentage of fat compared to ice cream, it is a healthier
alternative to ice cream, with slightly more powerful flavours.
- Have a sudden urge for some quality gelato? Here are a few of our personal favourite gelato gems to be found in the UK:
- Gelateria 3Bis London
- Situated on Park Street, suitably next to Borough Market, Gelateria 3Bis offers authentic Italian Gelato which is made in small batches on site everyday.
Favourite flavours include the 'Mascarpone with Figs' and 'Peanut Butter', plus, they offer a quirky special feature where customers can have molten
chocolate poured into every cup and cone if they so wish.
- Kimi's Gelato Bar – Windermere Quays, Glebe Road
- Served on the shores of Lake Windermere, Kimi's Gelato Bar sells artisan gelato packed with natural ingredients. On top of classic favourites, unusual,
but unbelievable tasty concoctions include: 'Turkish Delight' and 'Lemon Meringue Pie'. This little store also enjoys celebrating the seasons with
speciality flavours such as 'Hot Cross Bun', 'Pumpkin Pie' and 'Toffee Apple'. Having received exceptional reviews on TripAdviser, and being referred
to as the “best gelato in the UK”, we suspect that popularity for this new shop will only increase.